If you have a loved one turning 50 in the next few years, they’ll appreciate the thoughtfulness of a 50th Birthday Party that embraces the decade they were born. It’s not the cliché reminder of being “over the hill,” but rather a fun way to celebrate all the variety and spice they witnessed throughout their first 50 years.
If your favorite 50 year old was born in 1959, a 50s theme is just the ticket! Find images that are reminiscent of that era to place on the front of your invitation, like a 1955 Thunderbird or a Rock-n-Roll Jukebox. There are premade invites you can get, too. Encourage your guests to look the part!
• Set your party up as a neighborhood Bar-B-Q and offer food such as Char-broiled burgers, Cheesy French Bread, and Peach or Apple pies. Other favorite comfort foods of the time were Tuna-Potato Chip Casserole, Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Buttered Vegetables, and Chocolate Cake.
• Get the gang in the groove with the right tunes – think of musical artists like Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, Bill Haley & His Comets, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, The Cadillac’s, and the Platters. Find hits for the year 1959 to make it really special.
• Name That Tune, a Hula Hoop Contest, 50s Trivia, and Housewife Relay are fun games to entertain! For the relay, split your guests into two teams. Have a start position and a “turn around” location for the race. At the start position, have a box filled with a “curlers” wig, large dress, and apron that the runners have to put on before running. When they get back to the start spot, they have to pass the outfit off to the next runner. The first team to finish wins!
For those born in the 60s, a psychedelic hippie theme is completely called for. Envision tie-dye colors, Volkswagen Beetles, Peace Symbols, or Flowers for the front of your invitation. When you write out your party details, remind your guests that the “hippie look” is the way to go when come. You can help them out with their own Lennon Glasses or Hippie Beads.
• Family get-togethers were quite popular with fare such as baked chicken breasts, savory stuffed mushrooms, hot cheese biscuits, peach Waldorf salad, and coffee. Health food was the new rage, so feel free to have veggies and granola abound. Fondue was a hit, too, and of course… TANG!
• Music reached a major turning point in this decade, so it is a must have for the party! Find artists like the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, or the Beach Boys.
• 60s Trivia is definitely in order, but how about a fun game of Twister?
Whichever decade you choose, a personalized 50th Birthday Party for your loved one will surely delight!
Are there any decorations for a 50th bd party with the swing. I’m interested in learning to do that dance for my 50th which is coming up in 22 months. Just trying to get a head start
Hello Valarie and thank you for visiting. What a great theme for your 50th birthday! I am doing a quick search right now to find something for you and nothing is popping up. We do have some time though to find the perfect party supplies for you though. I will keep you posted!