Planning and paying for a great birthday party for your child can seem overwhelming and costly. With the price of everything up these days there is not much left over in the checking account at the end of the month. It may seem necessary to forgo a birthday celebration for your child with your family and friends in attendance. With a little creative planning and penny pinching though, it is possible to give your child a birthday party that will celebrate their getting a year older in style. Here are some low cost solutions to planning a party.
- Make a Budget. Every party should start with sitting down and figuring out what you can comfortably afford. It will be much easier to plan the party knowing just how much you can spend. Then stick with it!
- Bake Your Own Cake. A cake from a bakery can start at $1.00 per serving and if your guest list is large, this can be a huge part of your party budget. A box of cake mix and frosting purchased at your local grocery store can usually be found for a few dollars. You can even buy a tube of colored frosting with a fancy tip in order to write birthday wishes on the cake. We have Cake Decorating ideas too.
- Purchase Plain Colored Plates. You can still have a theme for your child’s birthday but spend your money on the paper products wisely. A package of plain dinner plates can be under $.20 a plate and a themed one can run closer to $.50 a plate. Purchase a themed centerpiece, invitations, Mylar balloon, and wall banner to decorate with.
- Host the party between meal times. Food can be a large part of a party budget. Serving a meal can get quite expensive. Instead schedule the party between meals and just serve cake, ice cream, and snacks.
- Party Favors do not have to be costly. Party favors can be a nice way to thank your guests for coming to the party. You do not however have to spend a lot of money to make them nice. Most party themes have themed favor boxes or bags available, but you could get away with using a simple brown paper lunch bag. Decorated with ribbon to match your theme and they will make a pretty decoration too. Fill the bags with simple favors and you can easily keep the cost below $1.00 a person per filled favor bag.
Party planning does not mean you will need to take out a small loan to give your child a nice party. With a few low cost solutions you will be able to host a party that your child will enjoy and remember for a long time.