In my happy sing-song voice… Snow Day, snow day, everyone loves a snow day… I was singing this two weeks ago when 24 inches fell outside my door in the middle of October! Yet, as much as I love a snow day, times became a wee bit desperate as the children’s boredom levels went sky high! Here are some thoughts to promote a little sanity:
- Have Emergency Craft Kits on hand! Stocking up on these “ready to go” wonders will stave off the first wave of boredom. Children love getting creative with paint or beads and since it comes with everything you need, there is no scrambling around for supplies.
- Snow Fun! Bundle the kids up and send them outside! Have contests on who can make the biggest snow man, the most snowballs, or catch the most snowflakes? It’s a wonderful time to spend with your kids and you can always follow it up with hot chocolate once you get inside.
- Make Cookies! Most of us have all the ingredients for at least sugar cookies and who doesn’t like warm, freshly baked cookies on a cold winter day? Your kids will enjoy the mixing, the cutting or decorating with cookie accessories like cookie cutters, and of course, licking the spoon.
- Use cotton balls, q-tips, paper towel rolls, and other household items to have your children construct igloos, forts, or snowmen. It is quite a delight to see what their imaginations cook up.
- Printable winter holiday games are a fast, impromptu way to ease monotony. Straight from your printer and into their eager hands. Could it get any easier?
These ideas should keep your Snow Days fun and entertaining for everyone! Happy Snow Day!